Wednesday, August 22, 2012

What is an American?

What is an American?

I got some interesting answers when I asked four of my friends "What is an American?" Some of the answers overlapped and some were in a category of their own.

The first person I asked responded: "An American is a free person that has the right to pursue any goal or dream that they have."

The second person I asked stated: "An American is someone that has the freedom to be an individual yet still be part of a whole."

The third person I asked gave me a bunch of adjectives and nouns stating what being an American is including: "prom, hot dogs, fire works, beer, BBQ, the red white & blue, and freedom." (Kind of sounds like Texas to me!)

The fourth person I asked said: "An American is someone who lives in America and has ancestors who came to America many years ago. In the near future being American won't only be a nationality but also a heritage. For example, I am a little Scottish, Irish, English, German, and Polish but in future generations they will say they are Americans." (I found this last response to be the most interesting!)


1 comment:

  1. Hi Madison, Thanks for posting the responses you got to our question. I think all four reflect different parts of the ambiguous answer, though I suspect there is not one single answer. I liked the last one the best too, since it seems to connect with de Crevecoeur. Good stuff. dw

    ReplyDelete